Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New quilt

I traded my guest queen size bed for my daughter's 2 twins. I had NO twin sized quilts. Well, guess I better make some!!
This is the first one. I started the redwork butterflies a couple years ago while I was visiting my oldest daughter and had to have something to keep my hands and my mind occupied. I had intended to make myself a queen sized quilt but since this came along, I decided to make at least one twin. If I can find the rest of the butterflies, I may make another one for matching quilts.
I screwed up and cut the muslin for the butterflies at 11 1/2" instead of the 12 1/2" that I should have. So I had to draft out the secondary block which was easy. The corners were a problem tho. How to finish them???? This is the process I took for the finale draft.
If I had made one large triangle in muslin, it would have been empty. I knew I wanted to keep with the 4 patch idea that I used in the secondary blocks and filler triangles. Adding a strip
muslin to the edges still wasn't right so I added the other red square and I like it much better.

Now to put the corners on, a narrow red border then a wider muslin border and quilt it.


I hope everyone has a great week.

1 comment:

sam said...

That is beautiful!